Eight local men petitioned Bishop Patrick Donahue to build a church on the outskirts of Wheeling.
Church was dedicated with Reverend C.J. Cluser as Pastor. The parish was composed of twenty-eight families. Much of the labor that went into the construction of the church was performed by parishioners.
Bishop Donahue offered the first Mass.
July 4th, 1897
Inside of the old church decorated for Christmas in 1901.
Marist Fathers were invited as parish staff.
Parish Transferred to Diocesan control.
The parish was able to acquire a parcel of land on National Road.
New School Built on that parcel of land.
January 14th, 1930
Sisters of the Divine Providence staffed the school until it was transferred over to lay control.
Ground Broken for building of a new church.
Church Construction Complete
St. Michael Church is considered to be one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in the Wheeling-Charleston Diocese.